Thursday, August 27, 2009

Yankton & Dell Rapids


It was great having my family at both Walks today. I've enjoying all the beautiful families along the way and am so happy to be reunited with my own. The weather was perfect again today. I am so grateful for the way God has blessed these walks.

In Yankton we met at beautiful Memorial Park where the children enjoyed the wonderful playground. We were only a short walk to the busy main highway that runs through Yankton. Many, many people got to see our banner and our large crew sporting our midwives shirts. It was fun to receive the encouraging waves and honks from the passers by.

We were located next to the Little Sioux River in Dell Rapids at their city park. We are so grateful that Senator Dan Ahlers took the time to walk and share the beautiful scenery with us. The sky was absolutely magnificent as the sun began setting in the West. It reminded me who is really in charge of all this!

These walks are a wonderful opportunity to share with my children how our government works. We are blessed to have the freedom to gather and voice our opinions in our country. By doing little things like taking part in a walk, we can influence public opinion and the laws of our state and the whole country.

Because of the Walks, I had the opportunity to meet with 2 legislators today and share with them the progress that has been made since the last legislative session. I love telling them about how the Idaho bill to license Certified Professional Midwives passed the House & Senate with only 2 dissenting votes and was signed into law by their Governor in April this year. And how North Carolina flew through their House committee hearing and floor vote and are now awaiting their hearing in the Senate.

What is it going to take in South Dakota to achieve this kind of success? The SD Safe Childbirth Options Board of Directors is trying to figure that out. We have a meeting coming up on Monday, August 31st, where we will be discussing what are next move should be. Please pray that God will bless us with His wisdom.

I am greatly looking forward to our last walk in Sioux Falls this evening. This has been a wonderful experience for me, but I'm getting a bit weary. It will be nice to get back to the reality of my daily life.

We have had great media coverage all along the way and we are expecting KSFY to show up to cover the event tonight. I am praying that a large group of supporters will join us. Please come if you can!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Debbie! Congratulations on all your walking. I wish we could have joined you in Yankton yesterday -- I should have made it a priority to come over with the kids. It's been a trying week for us because Mark has been gone for work since Sunday and a relative of ours (Mike Rolfes' father and my dad's cousin) passed away so I went to the wake in Nebraska on Tuesday. If your start time would have been later, I probably would have come over, but I just didn't have the energy to get the kids ready and make it to Yankton by 9:30am. I am glad you were able to do these walks during good weather and with the support of so many others. I admire your stamina and determination to bring this issue out to the public more. I really think it is just a matter of time before the legislators see the logics of it and come around to support it. Thanks for all you have done so far and will do in the future. Treat yourself to a great 44th birthday and a job well done.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your family was able to join you, I am sure they missed you as much as you missed them! As one of the families waiting for more midwives we truly appreciate your hard work and dedication!!

    ReplyDelete