Friday, August 28, 2009

Sioux Falls

WOW!!!!

What an amazing experience this has been. The Sioux Falls Walk was awesome - great turnout and beautiful evening! Most of the people there I had never met before. Let me just tell you about a few folks:

Annie & Nathan are going to be married next week. Because of experiences their family has had, they know that they want to have their children out-of-hospital with a Certified Professional Midwife. They found our SDSCO website via Citizens for Midwifery. When they emailed me asking what they could do to help, I invited them to the Walk.

Rose just completed her Doula training and is planning to move to Oregon with her family in March to begin her training as a Certified Professional Midwife. She plans to move back to SD or MN when her training is complete depending on the law. I'm so thrilled that she is willing to share her story with legislators in her home district and at the Capitol next session. Rose found out about our Walk via Facebook.

Becky recently graduated as a Chiropractor and has started practicing in Sioux Falls. She is very willing to help us in any way she can. I first met Becky last year at our booth at the Sioux Empire Fair.

I feel so blessed for all the new folks and for all those who continue to faithfully help in this effort to provide midwives for the families who need them.

Dr. Ben Rall reminded me of the Margaret Mead quote as we were visiting last night after the Walk. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Changing birth options is a huge step in changing our world...and we have the thoughtful committed citizens to do it!

Thanks so much to all of you who participated in any way in the Walks. I still am in awe that we actually did this thing in such a big way. Thanks be to God!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that quote Dr. Rall!! One of my favs! So happy to hear the night was a success!

    ReplyDelete