Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ipswich & Huron


The Ipswich Walk was very special to me. My mom, who is battling cancer, came and walked the entire 4 miles with me. This is nothing new for her; she has walked 4 miles nearly every day since she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over a year ago. She is my inspiration for doing this walk.

I was also greatly blessed to have many of my aunts and uncles join us for the walk. Most of them had been born at home, but didn't understand why someone would choose that option over a hospital birth today. They all agreed however, that families who want to have a home birth should have access to a midwife.

It was wonderful to have Nancy Dennert there who is 6 months pregnant and planning a home birth. She was able to explain to them the research that consistently shows how home births attended by skilled midwives are just as safe for babies and moms, but have far fewer interventions. The rates of birth injuries are actually way less in home births and breastfeeding rates are greatly increased.

Personally I think there are several reasons for this. The first is education. My midwife would spend at least an hour with me at each prenatal visit. She was wonderful at encouraging a healthier diet and lifestyle. She had a lending library of books, and encouraged me to read and discuss them with her. By the time I had the baby, I was prepared physically, emotionally and spiritually. I had a trusted friend who stayed with me from the moment I called her until after my baby and I were peacefully napping after the birth.

My baby and I were not exposed to hospital germs, people who didn't know us and our beliefs, or routine interventions. I was allowed to listen to the cues of my body, and it was amazing the difference that made in the ease of birth for me and my children.

My relatives left our discussion with a new appreciation for my passion to change our state laws. I explained how home birth is legal in South Dakota, but that the midwives who are specifically trained in out-of-hospital birth, Certified Professional Midwives, have no way to practice legally here. I told them how they are legally authorized to practice in 26 states and how 18 states including SD are working on updating our laws to include CPMs as part of the health care team. I was thrilled with their willingness to contact their legislators and let them know how important this law is to the home birth families in the state.

It was so nice to get together with old friends in Huron and walk the mile loop around beautiful Ravine Lake. Many of us have been working on legislation for a long time, and sometimes we get frustrated with the apparent lack of progress. We once thought that passing this legislation was a "no brainer". How could anyone vote against providing skilled, nationally certified midwives to assist home birth families? Perhaps the answer lies in our opposition. Year after year we are opposed by the powerful lobby representing institutionalized medicine, but more and more legislators are refusing to be swayed by their anecdotal evidence and bullying. More and more legislators are willing to explore this issue, to read the studies and listen to the voices of the families it effects. There is hope.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Debbie! There is hope and because of your hardwork and dedication we are SOOO much closer this year than in the past!

    ReplyDelete