Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Watertown & Brookings



It was another gorgeous day and more fantastic people. I got to meet so many new people today both in Watertown and Brookings. We actually had a woman show up in Watertown whose husband heard me during a call in radio show that morning.

They were discussing the town hall meeting that Senator Thune had held the night before on healthcare reform. I called in and said I knew a solution that would save billions of dollars a year and not cost the government a thing. I went on to explain the cost effectiveness of home birth with a Certified Professional Midwife, and how we are trying to make this option available to the families of South Dakota. Then I plugged our Walk at McKinley Park.

The women of the Watertown area have always greatly impressed me for a number of reasons. They are some of the sweetest, hardest working, kindest people I know. Yesterday I found out they also have incredible stamina. I could hardly keep up with them as they pushed strollers full of happy, well behaved children all around Watertown!

The Brookings Walk has been our most diverse group yet. Taylor and Suzanna did a marvelous job with publicity and we hosted many single college students as well as young families and even parents of midwives and future midwives. I was privileged to walk next to the mother of a young woman who just received her certification as a nurse midwife. This was the first walk that we carried our banner with us. It was such a large group that we needed to take our picture at a different site and we took our banner with us.

Because we had the banner we had some friendly honks from passers by. People even joined up with us as we were walking and came back to Cottonwood Coffeehouse and bought a T-shirt!

We are having a bit of a problem with T-shirts, but it is a good problem. We have run out of all the youth sizes except for the Youth Extra Large. We have sold over 100 T-shirts!!!! I'll have to check with Shelly at Elegant Mommy, she may have a few of the smaller sizes left at her store.

We have 3 walks left to go, Yankton and Dell Rapids today and Sioux Falls tomorrow. Already the numbers of supporters who have come out and the funds we have raised have far exceeded my expectations. Thanks be to God!

1 comment:

  1. This just gives me goosebumps!!! You are doing awesome Debbie! I love having "problems" like you are having!!! I wish I was in FSD tonight to share in the celebration of your birthday!

    ReplyDelete